Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Get rid of your hot air

Well after trying all the usual thing i still was not happy with my engine temps down here in the desert. I finally   worked up the courage to cut into my hood. So after looking and reading as much I could find on all the web and blogs +xjtalk.com  and visiting a few junk yards recently for other projects ,I decided that 1: I was never going to find any labarron hood vents as mostly mentioned on the blogs. 2: I was not about to buy any hood vents off the internet as most "quality" vents are going to cost you a few hundred bucks of your hard earned time. and being a blue collar jeeper I would not be going that rout. So down to Lows hardware I went. And found a pair of nice painted, aluminum, made in USA, roofing overhang vents for a whopping $2.50 each.
 So now I had the vents, painted them up and got myself mentally prepaired to cut the hood.
Next I laid up up the cut out on the underside of the hood buy tracing out the vents and taking measuments from the edges to compensate for overhang to glue down the vents to the top of the hood. 

Next drill holes in the corners of the cut outs. not only dose this help with staring your cuts but it will help prevent cracks from forming. Make sure to cover your engine and your windshield to prevent metal shavings from getting everywhere and scratching the window. 

After you have your cutouts for your shape of vent make sure to spray the cut metal with any paint to prevent rusting. 

Then what i did was simply use and adhesive to glue the vents to the top of the hood.

Happy jeepen



No comments:

Post a Comment