Sunday, June 16, 2013

Spin me right round

Well today the goal was to simply and quickly change out the distributor input sensor aka cam position sensor. This little magnet pick up that is incapsuolated in a plastic bracket and sold for a deal of $47 at my local o'raillys, at first glance it looked so simple. So as I begin by removing the distributor cap I find that the rotor I replaced only a week ago has had the center post snap off and was melting the plastic from the spark arcing across the gap good to know that the jeep will still run with it broke.  As I continued to dive into the replacement I found out that you must remove the distributor and then remove the helical gear at the end of the shaft, so that you may remove the inner shaft from the housing. After you remove the the shaft the sensor simply slips off with the removal of one screw. Now reinstall in reverse order and use a little fast weld to glue the broken center post on the rotor so that you can make it to the nearest parts store to replace it.

Keep all 4 on the floor and happy trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment